Milwaukee DUI Attorney Breaks Down Wisconsin Drunk Driving Laws and Statistics
Charged with Drunk Driving in Milwaukee or Elsewhere in Wisconsin? Turns out You’re Far from Being the Only One
Have you been charged with drunk driving in Milwaukee or elsewhere in Wisconsin? If you have, unfortunately you’re far from being the only one. In the experience of our Milwaukee DUI lawyer the most common cases of those charged with a DUI in Milwaukee last year came people who were:
- Drunk driving to/from Summerfest
- Drunk driving to/from a Brewer game, Admirals game or Bucks game
- Drunk driving to/from a bar
- Drunk driving to/from a house party
- Drunk driving while moving their car down the street, backing up or relocating their car to a closer parking spot
Last year, the number of people who were arrested for a DUI in Wisconsin reached over 40,000! Comparing Wisconsin against the rest of the nation, our Milwaukee DUI lawyer states we have one of the highest DUI arrests per population in the entire U.S. We also lead the nation in binge drinking percentages. As native Wisconsinites this probably doesn’t come as the biggest shock in the world; however, what is interesting is the fact that those who are convicted of a first offense DUI in Wisconsin actually cause the most fatal alcohol-related car accidents. We are one of very few states in the entire U.S. where this holds true.
Wisconsin DUI Laws and Penalties
Most Wisconsinites know at least one person who has been charged with a DUI in Milwaukee or elsewhere in the state. We’ve heard the stories, how expensive the fines are, how their insurance skyrocketed, how they lost their license, overall how incredibly inconvenient, frustrating and expensive the whole situation is. Unfortunately, not everyone who has been charged with a first offense DUI in Wisconsin learns their lesson. Nearly equally as unfortunate are those who hear these drunk driving stories and continue to take the risk of drinking and driving. Whether you’ve been charged with a first offense DUI in Milwaukee or you’ve been charged with multiple DUIs in Wisconsin, there are a few things you may not know.
- Wisconsin is one of the most lenient states when it comes to drunk driving penalties. This is changing. Drunk driving laws in Wisconsin are about to get a lot stiffer!
- If you’re charged with multiple DUIs in Wisconsin you’re likely going to be facing imprisonment.
- If you refuse a blood test or Breathalyzer you can lose your license immediately for at least a year. Your vehicle also may be impounded.
- If you’re charged with a DUI in Milwaukee or elsewhere in the state and there is a minor under the age of 16 in the vehicle, drunk driving penalties in Wisconsin double.
- If you’ve been charged with a second offense DUI in Wisconsin you face thousands in fines and 5 days to 6 months in jail
- If you ‘ve been charged with a second offense DUI in Wisconsin before and you are pulled over for drinking and driving a third time and your BAC is over .17, penalties triple.
- If another person is injured or killed as a result of your drinking and driving you may face more serious charges like OWI Causing Injury, Negligent Homicide, Vehicular Manslaughter or multiple charges.
Whether you are charged with a first DUI in Milwaukee after Summerfest or you’re facing charges for a repeat DUI, you need a lawyer who uniquely specializes in drunk driving cases. Tom Grieve is a Milwaukee DUI lawyer with an impressive record for getting DUI charges dropped or reduced. Whether dealing with misdemeanor charges or felony charges, Tom Grieve is recognized among the Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Wisconsin and among the best Milwaukee Lawyers. When it comes to your record, your reputation and your rights you can’t afford to go with other Milwaukee criminal defense lawyers. Turn to the Milwaukee DUI attorney with the most impressive record.