Free Consultation
Criminal lawyer menu bar Milwaukee OWI attorney Menu Criminal lawyer menu bar 3
You are only Guilty if you are Convicted

Do OWIs Show Up on a Background Check?

Return to Blog

Yes, Drunk Driving Convictions Appear on Public Record

If you have a prior OWI conviction, it is part of your public record and will likely show up on a background check run by potential employers, landlords, educational institutions, and others. An OWI 1st offense may not appear on CCAP because it is not a criminal offense, but if the background check includes the Wisconsin Department of Justice Crime Information Bureau or the Department of Transportation, the charge is more likely to appear.

Although the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) restricts reporting criminal arrests after 7 years, criminal convictions may be reported forever. An OWI expungement is impossible and there is no way to remove your OWI conviction from your permanent public record.

You Are Only Guilty If You Are Convicted

How to Talk About a DUI in a Job Interview

Talk About DUI in Job Interview

It is important to be honest about past convictions when applying for a job. If you say on your application you have no prior convictions, but your prospective employer sees an OWI on your public record during the background check, he or she will doubt your integrity and wonder what else you might be hiding. Even if they don’t see the conviction in your background check, they may find out later, and you could be fired.

In applications and interviews, answer questions about past convictions truthfully. If you mention your OWI on your application and your interviewer does not bring it up in the interview, you are not obligated to mention the conviction. Simply describe your experience, qualifications, skills, achievements, and any volunteer work to demonstrate you’re the right person for the job.

If the interviewer asks about your OWI conviction, be up front about the circumstances and how you’ve changed since then. Explain you made a poor decision and describe any treatment or DUI courses you completed. This will show the potential employer you accept responsibility for your mistake and have worked to improve.

Contact our OWI defense lawyer for more information.


2nd Offense OWI

Return to Blog

By: Attorney Tom Grieve on 03/06/2020

Tom Grieve is a former prosecutor who now runs a successful Wisconsin criminal defense law firm with offices in Milwaukee, Waukesha and Madison. If are facing new charges initial phone consultations are free: contact online or call 262-786-7100.

Make Secure Invoice Payments Online With Make a Payment